M Creative is hiring a mid- to senior-level graphic designer to be part of our collaborative and multidisciplinary team.
First and foremost, a commitment to M Creative’s mission is critical: we help visionary organizations do more good for more people by providing thoughtful, well-crafted communication solutions to our non-profit clients. Our goal is to employ our expertise in strategy, content development, and design to incite positive social change.
As the first Certified B Corp company in the North Carolina Triad, we’re proud to be part of a community of forward-thinking organizations using business as a force for good by balancing purpose and profit. We are a team of thoughtful, committed people with the interests of our clients, community, and world at heart. We work alongside values-driven organizations to improve access to healthcare and education, better the lives of women and girls, reduce poverty, and protect the environment.
As a graphic designer at M Creative, we expect you will bring a passion for creative solutions, as well as the persistence and the people skills to see them through. A respect for strategy, a dedication to design craft, and an adherence to a thoughtful design process is critical. Being able to balance constructive feedback, direction, and critique while maintaining a creative vision and point-of-view on our work is required.
This position will report to senior staff (Creative Director and President), and will collaborate with other internal staff and outside creative partners such as copywriters, illustrators, photographers, printers, developers, and video producers.
You will be involved with client meetings, weekly project management meetings, and client presentations as appropriate. Assistance and mentoring will be provided by the Project Manager, Creative Director, and/or other team members. Constructive participation in internal reviews and critiques is a must.
As a small company, we expect you to be well-rounded and multidisciplinary. You should be comfortable designing both digital and printed products. Knowledge and experience in UX and UI design and brand identity design are essential. A design degree and a minimum of 3–5 years of relevant experience is required. Senior designers (5–10 years experience) will also be considered. Past work experience at a nonprofit, serving on nonprofit boards, and nonprofit community leadership roles are a plus.
A high proficiency in Adobe Creative Suite (InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop, and XD) is required; proficiency in other industry-standard software (Figma, Sketch, InVision, Webflow, WordPress, or Monday.com) are a plus. Must be quick to learn new platforms, processes, and procedures. Programming, illustration, photography, animation, design research, or design-thinking facilitation skills are a plus.
As a mid-level graphic designer (3–5 years experience), you will:
- Manage time independently and effectively to meet deadlines and deliver projects on time and on budget
- Develop sketches, layouts, prototypes, boards, mock-ups and other work presentation tools as needed for client and internal projects
- Participate in client meetings and presentations as needed
- Assist with final mechanical preparation for print and digital projects with guidance from Creative Director, and according to standard operating procedure
- Work with Creative Director to source and direct illustration, photography, printing, and development with both internal and external providers
- Assist Project Manager and/or Creative Director to review and approve printer proofs, video edits, development mock-ups, and other preliminary production deliverables of work, and attend press checks along with Creative Director
- Maintain positive relationships with clients, stakeholders, and community members and ensure the growth of partnerships as a representative of our company
- Establish and maintain personal learning goals to grow in your areas of expertise and to consistently grow as a person living and working in a diverse and interpersonal community
- Keep abreast of current design trends and best practices for both digital and print work
In addition to the above, a senior designer (5–10 years experience) will also:
- Manage production of projects independently, including proofing and press-checking printed projects, leading quality assurance, testing, and deployment of digital products, and overseeing installation of environmental design projects
- Lead large-scale projects with multiple and complicated deliverables independently and efficiently with minimal oversight
- Plan and direct photo and video shoots independently
- Mentor younger designers
- Provide vision, direction, and energy for new capabilities and processes to better fulfill our mission and serve our clients
- Generate new business by connecting with potential clients and growing existing relationships to fulfill to our mission
- AIGA Membership at the Contributing Member level
- Hybrid work schedule that allows for a mix of in-office and remote working as appropriate
- Support and possible reimbursement for continuing education opportunities once vested and as determined by the President
- As part of our commitment to our community, full-time employees volunteer 20 hours per year in a way they choose. Accommodations will be made for volunteer opportunities during business hours at the discretion of the President.
- Paid time off commensurate with years of experience, in addition to the week between Christmas and New Years as an office-wide holiday
- Healthcare and dental insurance
- Company-provided laptop
- 401(k) retirement plan and company-match to tenured employees
Please send résumé, portfolio, and three references to [email protected]. Due to the high volume of inquiries only those most qualified will be contacted for an interview.
M Creative is a woman-owned, B-Corp certified business and provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. In addition to federal law requirements, we comply with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.
At M Creative, our values and beliefs require that we:
– remain ambitiously small and intentional about maintaining a healthy work-life balance for our employees;
– nurture each other and recognize that each person makes a difference and should be treated with dignity and respect;
– work with curiosity, integrity, and honesty as we seek clients and partners who share our values;
– strive to provide a work environment where we welcome autonomy, freedom, and flexibility;
– measure our performance not by how hard we work, but rather by the results we achieve.
Industry/Employment Type: Marketing and Design/Full Time
Salary: Commensurate with experience